New Law Clarifies the Process for Filling Student Trustee Vacancies on Community College Governing Boards

October 2013
Number 72

Community college district governing boards are required to be composed of one or more non-voting students who are chosen by the student body pursuant to governing board policy. Assembly Bill (AB) 1030 provides that if a student board member’s seat becomes vacant during his or her term, the governing board may authorize the officers of the student body associations at each college in the district to appoint a student to serve the remainder of the term in accordance with governing board policy.

This bill takes effect in January 2014. For help with community college and governing board issues, please feel free to contact one of our eight offices located statewide. You can also visit our website, follow us on Facebook or Twitter, or download our Client News Brief App.

Written By

Steve Ngo
Senior Counsel
Walnut Creek Office

©2013 Lozano Smith

As the information contained herein is necessarily general, its application to a particular set of facts and circumstances may vary. For this reason, this News Brief does not constitute legal advice. We recommend that you consult with your counsel prior to acting on the information contained herein.


Comments are closed.